Tuesday, 4 December 2007

Jane Austen

After a long time, i've watched a beautiful movie "Becoming Jane" The film is based on the life story of Jane Austen. It shows what made Jane Austen to write her stories of single women seeking arrogant, impertinent, impudent men, in her own words.

Even though her novels end in happiness, her life hasn't been a happy one. She initially being forced into a loveless marriage which she refuses with no hesitation. However again when she finds love, again she refuses it realising that she is not the only dependent on her love. Even though novels end in happiness,the reality, is not so.

It's ambiguous what Jane Austen was seeking in her life even though she has done justice to Elizabeth(pride and prejudice), Elinor with sense and Mariane with sensibility(sense and sensibility), Anne(persuation). Her life shouldn't have happened that way.

12 comments:

GG said...

Oh, I should watch that one.
I think Jane Austen's works are brilliant! if you are seeking a happy-funny-lighthearted read but without the lame part of a love story.

Only thing is that all her work falls under the same framework of " A single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife" as she starts in Pride & Prejudice".
But they are all very beautiful stories, and exceptionally well written. I think Jane Austen had the ability to express the very subtle yet deep insecurities of people very nicely. That gives her stories a very realistic touch.

Purnima said...

Thanks for the nice comment sasani.
As you nicely said most of her stories are with hero figures, seeking amiable partners.
Nevertheless I too loved her writing.

GG said...

Interesting thing I picked up from "The adventure of Englsh" doc.
In Jane Austen's time, reading novels was considered as something that ladies don't do. It was looked down upon.

So in order to get over that problem, Austen used the 'high society' who spoke 'proper English' and adhered to all the manners, niceties and proper ways of society to portray her work.

Purnima said...

That's intersting...That's in line with the film as well.
Her character is quite an exception in the environment she is growing up; Quite a peculiar one.

Ineshka said...

Yeah, I want to watch the film too... :))

I have never been a Jane Austen fan. I tried to read Pride and Prejudice about 5 times, and always gave up after about 2 chapters... Main reason was, it bored me and I got annoyed by the ridiculousness of the people's life. I know, I know, but I do promise, I will try again. I watched the movie of Sense and Sensibility and really wanted to read that, must somehow get around to it... The thing is every time I try to do it, I remember the Pride and Prejudice first chapters and instantly cringe away from it :)

Purnima said...

True Ineshka, at times i too get this feeling of ridicule, as it's not at all realistic in our context. But yet, i kind of like the style. :D

If you happen to watch, "pride and prejudice" as well, sometimes you might want to give it another try.
My sis has never been a fan of Jane Austen, but somehow she has become a ardent fan than me after watching it.

GG said...

:D
You seem to having a prejudice againts pride and prejudice

I'm not sure whether her stories are unrealistic because I really don't know what life was like back then in high English society.

I wouldn't vote her as one of the best authors I've come across, her stories are more like fairy tales with a handsom prince finding a beautiful princess and living happily ever after... but maybe with a more earthy touch.

You should watch the "pride and prejudice" film maybe you'll like it.
:D

Ineshka said...

I watched the movie with Keira Knightley... I was good, I mean, I wouldnt go over the moon about it, but it was good :) A friend of mine told me that there is a better version than this... That's why, the movie of Sense & Sensibility starring Kate Winslet was really good... I thoroughly enjoyed it! :) And I want to read the book... Maybe I should try that first eh?

You are right, I dont think she is making up anything, maybe this is what high English society was like back in those days... :) Austen might just be portraying it, but it seems so ridiculous to me, just like I get annoyed by high society today :)

GG said...

hmm....yeah, that's true. High society can be quite boring I guess. That reminds me someone said that the noble gases in the chemistry periodical table (He, Ne etc) were named 'noble' gases because they are so inactive!!
:D

Anyhow, I watched the BBC series of Pride and prejudice, think that's good (starring Collin Firth). And I watched the Sense and sensibilty starring Kate Winslet and Hugh Grant, yeah that was ok too, but I think I prefer the former.

Did you know that there's a Bollywood version starring Aishwarya called "Bride and Prejudice" as well?
:))
It's the same old story in a more modern context with an Indian twist to it!

Purnima said...

Quite interesting thoughts going on here. :)
Eventually i'am hoping we can get Ineshka give one more chance to "Pride & Prejudice"

Sas- I too heard abt "Bride & Prejudice", but didnt have a chance to watch it. I guess unlike the classical nature of the other "Pride and Prejudice", this one is more extravagant.

Ineshka said...

My advice to both of you, PLEASE dont watch "Bride & Prejudice"... Aishwarya Rai is not a good actress, she has the tendency to annoy you with her fake laugh... And the story isnt good either... Just a futile attempt in merging Bollywood with Hollywood!

Purnima said...

Thanks Ineshka for rescuing us from a utter regret :)