After a long time i've got a new book "The inheritance of loss" by Kiran Desai. The book i wanted for over a long time. From the initial skimming itself it seems iam going to love it. I being lookig at a review from PANKAJ MISHRA who is the author of "An End to Suffering: The Buddha in the World" , who says "ALTHOUGH it focuses on the fate of a few powerless individuals, Kiran Desai's extraordinary new novel manages to explore, with intimacy and insight, just about every contemporary international issue: globalization, multiculturalism, economic inequality, fundamentalism and terrorist violence"
I think it's quite true that she focuses on stories of powerless individuals, nevertheless the vivid manner in which she expresses them is quite close to heart and Her power to create beautiful mental pictures is impressive.
There were times she being critical on the western influences, "Desai takes a skeptical view of the West's consumer-driven multiculturalism, noting the "sanitized elegance" of Lola's daughter's British-accented voice, which is "triumphant over any horrors the world might thrust upon others." I being reminded of "Arundathi Roy" who i think belong to same genre as Kiran in terms of their views.
I felt Desai is someone who can see beauty in anything around us. I admire her for this skill of her. Along the same lines, PANKAJ MISHRA says
"Desai's prose has uncanny flexibility and poise. She can describe the onset of the monsoon in the Himalayas and a rat in the slums of Manhattan with equal skill. She is also adept at using physical descriptions to evoke complex states of mind, as when Biju gazes at a park while celebrating the great luck of being granted his American visa: "Raw sewage was being used to water a patch of grass that was lush and stinking, grinning brilliantly in the dusk"
2 comments:
aaaawww....!
You are making me jealous! I couldn't find time to read any books recently! This is cruel!!!
Anyway, looking forward to a review on this one.
On top of all my work i went and brought this one..:)
Post a Comment